Coach Reifsteck and Coach Meredith

The Nazareth Athletic Department graciously welcomed two new volleyball coaches this year! Coach Rob Reifsteck and Coach Anna Meredith joined the team in September, and the season is already off to a great start! I was able to interview both coaches and find out a little more about them.

1. Why did you decide to start coaching volleyball? Why did you choose to coach at Nazareth?

Coach Rob: I started coaching volleyball because volleyball is my favorite sport. I wanted to continue my volleyball journey after graduating high school and I couldn’t play, so I decided to coach! Coaching at Nazareth was an opportunity that came out of nowhere, but I’ve wanted to be in charge of my own program for a while, and this gave me the first opportunity to do so.

Coach Anna: I decided to start coaching volleyball because I wanted my players to have the best high school sport experience possible. I had some really good coaches and some really not so good coaches when I was playing, and what I really want to do is give players the opportunity to do what they love. One of the most prominent coaches I had growing up was my Mom. She definitely made a big impact on my decision to coach and I’m very grateful for that.

I chose to coach at Nazareth because it seemed like such a supportive close-knit community and I was really curious to see what the hype was about, and so far, I have not been disappointed.

1. Do you have any hopes for this season or any plans for the future of the program?

R: My hopes for the season are high. I think we have a great chance to surprise some teams and win some games this year. The most important thing for me is for the team to grow from the beginning of the season from the end of the year. For the future of the program, I want to create a culture and team that is consistent but improves all season long and obviously wins, because everyone loves to win.

A: I just hope that the players on the team this season really develop a greater understanding and love for the game. I would love to get a win this year in the tough league we’re in and prove that Nazareth is a good team and not one to underestimate. As for the future, I hope our program can appeal to more incoming freshmen and students from all years. I definitely think the future of the program looks bright and that many girls on the team could take their game more seriously and may consider joining a club team.

1. When did you start playing volleyball?

R: I started playing volleyball in sophomore year of high school. So that’s why I tell everyone that I coach that you have time to become a great player.

A: I started playing volleyball on a team in 5th grade but I started learning how to play the game even before that. My Mom used to play in a sand league and sometimes she would take me with her. I learned a lot just by watching other people play, and I knew that was something that I wanted to do.

1. What do you think is the most important skill in volleyball?

R: The biggest skill in volleyball has to be communication. Volleyball is one of the largest team sports. You need a full team to be able to play. When that team is on the same page and communicating well, everything works. A phrase I say a lot is “teamwork makes the dream work”. It basically means when everyone does their part, everything works perfectly.

A: For me, I think the most important skill in volleyball is communication and having a good attitude. Calling the ball, encouraging your teammates, and looking forward to the next play are all attributes that make up a good volleyball player. Volleyball is one of those weird sports where every point ends in a mistake. Whether it occurs on our side of the court or the other, it’s important not to dwell on previous plays and just look forward to the next play.

1. What do you like to do in your spare time?

R: I spend most of my free time with my girlfriend. But like any college kid, I don’t have much free time but when I do, it’s spent with her.

A: I come from a big family and have four younger sisters so in my spare time I’m always hoping to spend some time with them. This usually means going to their sporting events and watching their favorite shows and movies. I’m also a huge Philly sports fan, an avid writer, and Netflix lover.

1. Do you have any fun or hidden talents?

R: Unfortunately, no I do not.

A: This hidden talent is something I picked up on from being an English major. Full disclosure, I would not recommend this but one of my hidden talents is actually writing long papers hours before the deadline. Again, I would not recommend this, but for some reason my best work always occurs under pressure.

1. Anything else you’d like to share with the students at Nazareth?

R: I’m so glad to be a part of this community and the volleyball team will do great things soon. Also, wear your masks 🙂

A: I’d just like to really encourage the underclassmen to come out for tryouts next year. The future of the program depends on student interest and we would love to have you!

As a member of the volleyball team, I can say that we’re all very grateful for both coaches’ skills and enthusiasm they bring to the team. We’re looking forward to a great season!

This article originally appeared in the October 2020 edition of The Nazareth, Volume XCIII, No. 1.

The Nazareth • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Nazareth