Meet Your Leadership Team

Meet Your Leadership Team

Carly Krieger '21, Senior Editor

The votes are in! Nazareth has their new leadership team for next school year. Take some time to read what your President Ella Verello, Vice President Maddie Scott, Secretary Anna Monari, and Treasurer Ella Pirolli have to say. Nazareth is definitely in good hands.

Why did you decide to run for Leadership Team? What was your inspiration?

Ella V – I ran for the Leadership Team because I knew I was where I belonged when I first entered those Naz doors. I wanted to be a big part of this sisterhood and be very involved with the things that make the biggest positive impact. My inspiration was previous leadership teams. Some of them are my friends. I had been VP at my elementary school and on student council here at Naz for the past three years in preparation for this opportunity. I’m always striving to do my best, and I want the girls here to know that we should lift one another up. I think I can be that example.  I want to be their voice and want them to know I am always here for them.

Maddie – I decided that I wanted to run for Leadership Team pretty much once I got onto Student Council my freshman year. I saw how much work went into it but also that so many things within the school got done and were improved because of the hard work that the Leadership Team put in. Over the past three years, I’ve been here at Naz, I’ve recognized how amazing this school community is, and I want to put in that hard work to make it the best it can possibly be for everyone here!

Anna – I decided to run for Leadership Team because I always wanted to be the person that anybody could talk to or be the role model for little pandas to look up to. Being personable is the best quality anybody could ask for, and that is the major goal that I am trying to bring to L-team!

Ella P – I decided to run for Leadership Team because I wanted to be a part of a team with fun, intelligent, and strong girls who have similar goals. My inspiration came from seeing my upper classmates from previous years on the Leadership Team and all the fun they had being part of this elite group. From my Freshman year, I knew I wanted to be a part of the Nazareth Leadership Team. I want to utilize my leadership abilities and skills for the benefit of Nazareth, with the ultimate goal of making Nazareth the best school it can be for all of my sisters.

How did you feel when you won? Did you celebrate?

Ella V – When Mrs. Hope said that I was elected President, I was shocked and speechless. I was so excited and felt honored. Unfortunately, I had to hurry to a meet right from school, but my family and friends were so happy for me! They gave me roses and treats, and we have plans to celebrate more this weekend.

Maddie – I was so excited and surprised to hear my name when the team was announced! Mostly, I felt so honored that people felt I have what it takes to be a part of the Leadership Team and grateful for all the support. I celebrated by telling my friends and family the news, including Katrina and Ciara, two of my favorite humans who happened to be the dynamic Prez-VP duo last year! They were super supportive during the campaign, and I was pumped to let them know that I’d be following in their footsteps!

Anna – When I found out, I looked at one of my best friends, Meghan Zwiercan, and she gave me the biggest hug in the world. I applaud her for being so kind-hearted all the time. I patiently waited to hear for the VP and President to be announced! I was very proud of my

girls. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of running mates to compete against!

Ella P – I was super excited and happy when the announcement came out that I won. I was thrilled that all of my hard work and efforts during the campaign came to a reality. No, unfortunately, I did not have time to celebrate. I left immediately after school for a Track meet at Villa Maria in Malvern and did not get back to Nazareth until 7:45 pm. I then went back to school to join my parents for the final NAPA meeting and did not get back to my house until 10:00 pm that evening. I do plan to celebrate this weekend, though!!

What are your plans for next year? What are you most excited about?

Ella V – I have many plans. I’d like to begin some new traditions and enhance some things in place, and I’d like to get feedback from our Naz sisters to make sure I am a good representation of their voices. At the moment, I am most excited to be back to school full time, and I am hopeful we can get back to celebrating special occasions and events together in person. I want to have a really productive yet fun 2021-22.

Maddie – My plans for next year are big! My top priority is listening to the student body’s ideas and advocating for their interests, but I also have a few ideas myself that I am hyped to get working. In particular, I’m most excited about organizing a 5K color run to raise money for both the school and Morgan’s Light and working with my fellow L-Team ladies to create a dedicated space in memory of Morgan McCaffery. Other than that, I would love to bring back old traditions and start some new ones.

Anna – I very much hope to bring back the tradition, Sophomore Sisters, as it could be very beneficial to the student body. I am excited to see how we bring to life the team’s ideas and see how they play out!

Ella P – Some of my plans for next year consist of new dances and mixers with Holy Ghost Prep and Father Judge, an annual Nazareth Color Run, a Year-Round Recycling Drive, Lunch, Learns, and finally Sports Equipment Upgrades for both on and off the field. The idea that I am most excited about is the Morgan McCaffery Senior Lounge in honor of the late Morgan McCaffery. This is my way of memorializing Morgan in the halls of Nazareth forever.

What is your favorite song at the moment?

Ella V – So many, but I love Levitating by Dua Lipa feat. DaBaby.

Maddie – I’m glad you said “at the moment” because my favorite song is always changing, lol. Lately, I’ve been listening to a lot of Macklemore, particularly his song “Brad Pitt’s Cousin” with Xperience. It’s definitely a stupid song with lyrics that make no sense, but it’s super fun to blare while driving with all the windows down!

Anna – My favorite songs now are probably Cloud 9 or Sports by Beach Bunny, but ANYTHING by Kanye will have my heart.

Ella P – My favorite song at the moment is Kiss Me More by Doja Cat and SZA.

Favorite class you’ve taken at Naz?

Ella V – I’d have to say Bio with Mr. Palumbo. I love science!

Maddie – My favorite class I’ve taken at Naz is AP Chem with Mrs. Scott, aka my mom! I really enjoyed the class itself and liked learning the material (total geek right here). Still, my favorite part was definitely all the memories made with my classmates, including our “bagged” playlist for after chem tests… iykyk!

Anna – My favorite class that I’ve ever taken at Naz is probably Algebra I with Mrs. Greenewald, Geometry with Ms. Ennis, or any of the English classes. I am 100% a math person, so it just comes easy to me. But English is up there because when reading books, I get teleported into the story.

Ella P – My favorite class is a tie between Honors Chemistry with Mrs. Scott and Anatomy and Physiology with Mr. Palumbo. Both courses were challenging and rewarding. I absolutely loved having Mrs. Scott and Mr. Palumbo.

6. What is your favorite fun memory that you’ve made at Naz?

Ella V – A memory that I will cherish forever was freshman week! Having my seniors take me under their wings and make me feel like their little sister was really comforting. I’m looking forward to when I can do the same for someone next year!

Maddie – It’s so hard to pick just one! I’d have to say that my favorite Naz memories are the ones made with the cross country and track teams, particularly my sophomore year. Between fun on long runs, racing at meets together, and laughing at pasta parties, there have been a ton of random yet amazing times that make me so happy to be a part of the Nazareth family.

Anna – My favorite fun memory that I’ve made at Naz is definitely anything having to do with the play. From High School Musical to Mamma Mia, and now Godspell, those moments when you learn and get to know the other cast members are just ANNAmazing!! The cast party is also fun too!

Ella P – My favorite memory at Nazareth was Freshman Week when I was selected as Little Miss Freshman 2018-2019. I am still smiling about that memory. A close second favorite memory at Nazareth was Kairos Weekend, where I was selected to be a Kairos leader. I created new and everlasting lifelong bonds that weekend with Nazareth Sisters, who I hardly knew. Simply amazing!

7. Anything you want to say to your Nazareth sisters:

Ella V – I am beyond honored to be in this position. It’s one of the happiest moments of my time here. I will do my very best at Naz. I will always be open and supportive of you. I want to hear your ideas, and I want to be a good role model and leader. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for having confidence in me! I’m so excited for next year!

Maddie – Hey everyone! I just want to say thank you a million to you all for electing me to serve as your Vice President! I am so excited for making next year a great one, and I hope that if any of you ever have any ideas, concerns, or just need someone to talk to, you can feel free to come to me or my L-Team sisters!

Anna – I am SUPER eager to get to be your voice with the other girls!! And I CANNOT wait for the fabulous year ahead!!

Ella P – Thank you so much for electing me to be part of the 2021-2022 Nazareth Leadership Team! I am truly honored. I will work super hard for you and our beautiful school. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any ideas or suggestions you may have, as I am always here for my fellow Sisters. I am so excited for the 2021-2022 school year, and I hope you are as well. I love all of my Nazareth Sisters.

This article originally appeared in the May 2021 edition of The Nazareth, Volume XCIV, No. 4.